Everybody loves a smoothie, and it’s not hard to see why. First off, they’re so easy to prepare. All you have to do is get hold of some nice fruit (and veg), drop them in a blender, and flip a switch.
They also save you a lot of time. What other meal or snack allows you to pack so many nutrients in with so little prep or cooking time?
On top of that, they’re portable. A smoothie is a great way to start your day at home, but whether you’re travelling into work or heading out at the weekend, all you need is an airtight container to enjoy a healthy breakfast on the go.
After that glowing introduction, it’s time to try a smoothie recipe for yourself. The team at Ludo’s Primal Wellness has another quick way to kickstart your day – our blueberry & kale reset smoothie. Enjoy!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: Absolutely zero
- 1 1⁄4 cups (315ml) milk, reduced fat (or dairy-free alternative)
- 1⁄3 cup (40g) natural protein powder (our favourite one is https://supernovaliving.com/naked-00 ideal for smoothies)
- 2 tbs rolled oats (or brown rice flakes or quinoa flakes if gluten free)
- 1 tbs crunchy natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 medium banana sliced & frozen in advance
- 1⁄2 kale leaf chopped
- 1⁄2 cup (80g) fresh or frozen blueberries
- 4-6 ice cubes
Step by step guide
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender on high for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
- Serve in a chilled glass.
3 health benefits of this dish
- Kale is like a healthier version of spinach – it contains double the amount of vitamin C and four times the amount of selenium, both of which are key components of a healthy immune system.
- Blueberries are an antioxidant superfood. They are an anti-inflammatory, and inflammation is a big part of all chronic diseases. That means blueberries offer you disease protection, and can lower your risk of heart disease and cancer.
- Bananas are a great source of potassium, contain powerful antioxidants, and can reduce the risk of heart disease and degenerative illnesses.