Sometimes there’s no better motivation to get through a morning than the prospect of a good lunch.
We often hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but lunch is just as big a deal.
According to nutritional experts, eating lunch raises your blood sugar level during the day providing the energy you need for the rest of the day.
What’s more, it helps to improve your focus and concentration.
But let’s be honest, not many of us have time to prepare a feast at lunchtime which is why this quick couscous salad by Ludo’s Primal Wellness is the perfect halfway snack.
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
From pantry to plate: 15 minutes
What you’ll need: ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup couscous (or gluten-free couscous or cooked brown rice if gluten-free)
- 1⁄4 tin of chickpeas (400g tin) drained & rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup (160ml) water boiling
- 1⁄2 red pepper diced
- 6 olives pitted & halved
- 60g feta crumbled
- 2 sprigs of fresh basil leaves picked & roughly chopped
Step by step guide
- Place couscous and chickpeas in a heatproof bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over boiling water, cover with cling wrap and stand for 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork, add red pepper and olives and stir through.
- Top with feta and basil to serve.
Three health benefits of couscous
- Couscous is packed with plant-based protein. In fact, couscous can provide six grams of protein.
- It’s also a great source of fibre that will not only help you feel fuller for longer but also slow down the breakdown of sugar into the bloodstream, providing more stable energy.
- Couscous is rich in selenium which is a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce inflammation and repair damaged cells.